Pages

Friday, March 26, 2010

asking the right questions

I cannot help but notice that people have asked numerous questions regarding the nano-MBA program. What is really interesting is that the same question has been asked several times. Worded differently but the same question. Then there are those questions that ask about re-defining the rules. I know you said this but... I have special circumstances.

SO before I continue any further I will include the rules as they are laid out on Mr. Godin's website.

Here's a checklist. You should only apply if all of these apply to you:
1. You can spend five days and nights in New York from May 17 through 21, 2010.
2. You currently work for a great boss who is willing to write you a recommendation after you make it through the initial screen.
3. The organization you work for makes the world a better place (it doesn't have to be a non-profit).
4. You speak English perfectly and have no trouble doing a lot of reading and writing.
5. You've read at least four of my books--so we can have a running start.

So I will not discuss the questions that directly contradict the rules (i.e. I can't be there in person during some of the dates above....). In this case you do not qualify and asking the obvious question is only wasting time. If you choose to apply then go for it and present your case, but I am not sure asking questions adds any value.

I will focus instead on rule number 3 because it allows some flexibility and hence the one that seems to have spurred lots of questions. If I had to guess I would say that rule number 3 was purposely built in with flexibility because it's supposed to asses how you feel about the work you do. Like most things in life, perception is reality and if you believe your company makes a difference and you are passionate and believe in what you do then that's reality. And as long as you can convey that in your application I would think you fulfill rule #3.
Now when people ask questions like can I still apply if I work for a bank, insurance company, high tech company etc. it sounds like an excuse to not give it your best shot; to save yourself time, effort, to not give it 100%.
So then what is the point of trying? What's the point of trying for anything if you are not going to put your best foot forward? Then you are going to be mediocre and that is just not good enough not only for the nano-MBA opportunity but pretty much everything. It is a waste.

No comments:

Post a Comment